Healthy Gut: Nutty Everything Granola Breakfast Bowl
Breakfast is a meal frequently skipped by many, including myself. The biggest reason: not enough time!
Mornings can be very hectic, and unfortunately breakfast takes a back seat for many busy individuals. You're out the door feeling great, and before you know it, your blood sugars drop and you're waiting in line at a Tim Horton's drive thru for a high-glucose muffin and coffee. Not the best choice to balance blood sugars or support a healthy gut.
If this sounds like you, make breakfast a meal you prepare ahead of time!
A breakfast yogurt bowl such as this Nutty Everything Granola Breakfast Bowl is an excellent make-ahead meal. Most of the preparation can be done the day before or preferably on the weekend. The granola will keep in the refrigerator for months, and if enjoying every day, will serve up one month worth of meals.
This granola is also grain-free and a source of plant-based protein and healthy fats. It is excellent on it's own, but I prefer it with coconut kefir and homemade Sugar-Free Blueberry Chia Jam. The jam is naturally sweet,t full of antioxidants and adds approximately 6 grams of fiber for every 1 tablespoon of chia.
Make this recipe a staple in your morning rountine especially if you are looking for a quick an easy meal that:
Requires less than 5 minutes of prep time in the morning.
Everyone in the family will enjoy, from preschoolers to adults.
Whole-food ingredients that restore intestinal health and reduce inflammation.
Easy to digest and grain-free.
A source of protein and healthy fats that balance blood sugars and keep you satiated.
A source of prebiotic fibers that feed and replenish good bacteria in the gut.
Prepare the Granola and Chia Jam the day before or over the weekend. This allows for flexibility during the week while ensuring your breakfast is nutritious.
Mel's Nutty Everything Granola
Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Refined-Sugar Free, Detox friendly, good source or healthy fats and plant-based protein.
Makes about 8 cups.
4 cups mixed raw pecans, cashews and walnuts 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds 1 cup unsweetened, unsulphured, shredded coconut
1/2 cup of dried cranberries 1/2 cup cocoa nibs 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted 1/3 cup of real maple syrup 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 tablespoons cinnamon 1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place nuts and pumpkin seeds in a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times to chop the nuts, but don’t grind them into a fine meal.
3. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in coconut and dried cranberries. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powered and sea salt; whisk together well.
5. Poor liquid mixture into nut mixture. Stir making sure ingredients are completely coated.
6. Spread granola evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes total. At the 20 minute mark, add cocoa nibs and stir granola to bake evenly. Be careful not to let it burn; it should be golden brown. Let granola cool completely.
7. Transfer to an airtight container preferably a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Sugar-Free Blueberry Chia Jam
Makes 1 cup
1 1/4 cups fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Place ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate overnight before using. Keeps in refrigerator for 7-10 days.
To assemble the Breakfast Bowl
You will need:
3 tablespoons Mel's Nutty Everything Granola
3 tablespoons Unsweetened Coconut Kefir like this one. or other dairy-free yogurt
1 tablespoon Sugar Free Blueberry Chia Jam
1 tablespoon hemp hearts
1 tablespoon ground flax
1/2 cup of your favorite seasonal fruit slices, such as banana, fresh berries, peaches, figs kiwi etc.
Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
In a small bowl assemble your ingredient. First plant-based yogurt, then ground flax and hemp hearts. Lastly granola and fresh fruit.